Recharge currently offers the option to connect Braintree, Stripe, or Authorize.net as a payment gateway to process subscription payments. Depending on your business, you may start with Braintree and decide to switch to either Stripe or Authorize.net.
This guide describes the steps you will need to take to transfer from Braintree to a new payment processor.
- Recharge Checkout on Shopify
- Recharge Checkout on BigCommerce
Refer to Enable a Payment Processor if you use the Shopify Checkout Integration.
Before you start
- The transfer time is typically between 7 - 14 business days depending on the new payment processor. Once the transfer is initiated, You will not be able to process or refund any charges for existing customers until the transfer is complete.
- It is recommended to move the charge date until after the transfer is completed if you have any charges scheduled during the transfer period. The Recharge Support team can help process a bulk update for you if you have over 50 charges that need to be updated.
- Customers using PayPal as their payment method must update their credit card information on file to prevent any charge errors. Contact the Recharge support team to request a list of customers' payment tokens.
Step 1 - Contact the Recharge support team
Contact the Recharge support team with the following information to begin the transfer from Braintree to a new payment gateway:
- The payment credentials for your new payment processor.
- A list of Recharge customers and their Customer IDs that should be transferred to the new payment processor.
Step 2 - Contact Braintree
Transferring to Stripe
Contact the Braintree support team to have them start moving customers over to Stripe.
Stripe will send a mapping file to you after Braintree has completed their transfer process. Forward the mapping file to the Recharge support team.
The Braintree API keys may be removed after the mapping file has been sent to Recharge Support.
Transferring to Authorize.net
Braintree will send you a GPV-ecrypted CSV file after they have completed their transfer process. Forward the CSV file to the Recharge Support team. The Braintree API keys may be removed after Recharge Support has been sent the file name.
The Braintree support team must confirm that they have completed their portion of the transfer process before you can move on to Step 3.
Step 3 - Contact your new gateway
Step 4 - Update the Payment ID for existing customers in Recharge
Provide the Recharge support team with the following information to update the Payment ID for your existing subscription customers:
- Open the Customers Export file you sent to the Recharge Support team to initiate the transfer process.
- Add a new column to the Customers Export called NEW Payment ID.
- Input your customers' new Stripe or Authorize.net IDs into this column.
- Send the CSV file back to the Recharge support team.
A member of the Recharge Support team will confirm the completion of the transfer process once the Payment IDs are updated for your existing customers.
Didn’t find what you’re looking for?Contact us