Bundles allow you to bundle multiple products to create a "build-your-own-box" experience. You can customize the subscription settings to offer bundles as one-time products and/or subscriptions and include add-ons or extras. You can create boxes with fixed items, or provide customers with the ability to customize their boxes.
- Recharge Checkout on Shopify
- Shopify Checkout Integration
Before you start
- For a more complete introduction from Bundle basics to customization, take our course Bundles overview.
Bundles use cases
Bundles are compatible with Shopify stores only if you want to offer either a customizable “build-your-own-box” experience or a fixed bundle with pre-selected items. You also have the ability to offer add-ons or extras to the first delivery only, or for all subsequent deliveries.
- Preset bundles - All customers get the same preset products in a bundle with a fixed price. Customers cannot make their own selections.
- Fixed-price customizable bundles - Customers choose the products in their bundle at purchase and they can change their selections afterward. The price of the bundle is fixed regardless of what products the customer adds.
- Customizable (subscribers-only) - Customers all get the same products in their first delivery, but can change their bundle products for future recurring orders all at a fixed-price.
Dynamically-priced customizable bundles - This feature is currently in Early Adopter status. Customers choose the products in their bundle at purchase and they can change their selections afterward. The price of the bundle is dynamic and changes depending on the products the customer adds.
Example use cases
- A meal plan box where a subscriber can select the meals they will receive each week while paying the same price.
- A wine company with a wine club that offers a bundle of three, six, or nine wine bottles, providing a discount for purchasing several bottles at one time. This could be a fixed bundle, with pre-selected wines, or the merchant can give the customer the option to customize the bundle by selecting their preferred wine.
Tags and compatibility
All Bundles orders are tagged with
Bundle. Orders using fallback contents are tagged with
Preset-Bundle for easy identification
The following features are compatible with Bundles:
|Discounts||You can offer subscription discounts and use discount codes with Bundles.|
The customer portal bundles widget automatically displays on bundle subscriptions on the following customer portal themes:
If you are using an older version of the Recharge Theme Engine, you must add the bundle code manually.
Bundles translations are adjusted by clicking Storefront and selecting Translations in the merchant portal.
Customers can use RechargeSMS to update the main bundle product.
However, customers must then update bundle contents through the customer portal. Review bundled subscriptions in the RechargeSMS product guide for more information.
All Bundles-related orders contain individual products as line items and affect product inventory accordingly. If a bundle content is out of stock, it will not be available on the product details page or customer portal for new subscribers.
However, if a selection in an existing subscriber’s bundle is out of stock, it will still be processed and added to the order. To prevent this from happening, we recommend exporting your bundle contents to assist with inventory planning and using the bulk swap function to swap out the out of stock product for all active subscribers.
Preset bundles are compatible with Workflows.
The following workflow use cases are commonly used with Bundles:
There are a few limitations to using Bundles. Refer to the following limitations to learn more:
- Multi-currency - Fixed-price bundles are not compatible with multi-currency orders.
- Local delivery - Only dynamically-priced customizable bundles are compatible with local delivery. All bundle types are compatible with local pickup orders. See Local Delivery and Pickup for more information on how to enable these settings.
- Customer portal location: Hosted by Recharge - The Bundles customer portal widget is only compatible with customer portals that are embedded in the storefront. See Understanding the customer portal for more information.
- Draft orders - Draft orders and any other orders placed outside of Shopify's Online Store sales channel are not supported.
- Third-party applications - Most third-party applications are compatible with Bundles if the app doesn’t modify the add-to-cart behavior or impact fulfillment. We recommend running a test bundle order to ensure the third-party app is compatible.
- Partial order fulfillment - Bundles are currently incompatible with the partial order fulfillment feature.
Didn’t find what you’re looking for?Contact us