Bundles allow merchants using the Shopify Checkout Integration and Recharge Checkout on Shopify to use one SKU to bundle multiple products to create a “build-your-own-box” experience. You can customize the subscription settings to offer bundles as one-time products or subscriptions, and include add-ons or extras.
This guide provides an overview of accessing and configuring a customizable bundle in Recharge.
- Recharge Checkout on Shopify
- Shopify Checkout Integration
Before you start
Bundles can be configured as one-time, one-time and subscription, subscription-only or prepaid.
If you are configuring a prepaid bundle there are some caveats to consider:
- Prepaid bundle parent products should not be configured with variants.
- Prepaid bundle product options should not be configured to expire after a number of charges.
- Prepaid bundles are not compatible with automatic reset. Automatic reset is triggered by charge processing which only happens when the prepaid cycle renews. Prepaid shipment orders cannot reset contents.
Step 1 - Set up products and collections in Shopify
Prior to creating a bundle, you must create the product and collections in Shopify.
Create a product in Shopify that will be your main bundle product.
- This is the product that customers will purchase.
- The price of each option should be the total of what you want to sell the bundle for. Learn more about setting bundle prices in the FAQ.
- Product configuration should match with the subscription rule configured for the bundle.
Create your collection(s) in Shopify to determine which products can be added to your bundle.
- The individual price of the products in your collection(s) will be ignored, as the bundle price will be used.
- If you are tracking inventory on the bundle content products, it is recommended that the product collection be created as an automated collection on Shopify. Set a condition on the collection that inventory must be greater than 0. With the inventory condition set for the collection, out-of-stock products are removed from the bundle selection options. Customers accessing the customer portal are prompted to update their selections before orders process if products go out-of-stock.
- Optional - Add tags to the products to facilitate filtering. For example, if you offered meal options you might filter by diet or restrictions like vegetarian, soy-free, or nut-free.
Step 2 - Access Bundles in Recharge
The following instructions take you through setting up and configuring a bundle. Refer to Managing existing Bundles in Recharge if you have already set up a bundle.
- In the merchant portal, click Products and select Bundles.
- Click Create your first bundle. If you have already created a bundle click Create a new bundle.
- Confirm that the products are created in the popup and select Get Started. You can also select the checkbox to deactivate this prompt for future bundles if necessary.
Step 3 - Select your products and collections
- Select the bundle product you created.
- Select Customizeable as your bundle type and click Save and continue.
- Select the collections to include in your bundle and click Save changes.
- Configure the bundle size settings for the size options you created on the initial bundle product.
- Input the number of products in the bundle to the How many products can a customer add to this variant? field.
- Optional - Add additional collections for more product selection. If multiple collections are added, you can then specify how many products can be added from each collection and drag and drop the order the collections should appear in for the customer.
- Use the toggle to enable or disable the variant.
- Click Done.
- Optional - Add a single item limit in Advanced Settings to limit the number of each product that can be added to the bundle.
- Click Save and continue.
Step 4 - Setup your subscription settings
This configuration matches with the subscription rule configuration for standard subscription products.
- Use the radio buttons to determine the bundle's subscription settings.
- Set your settings based on the option you choose.
- Select Save and continue once finished.
Step 5 - Recommended - Configure fallback contents
This setting is recommended for bundles with rotating products (ex. meal subscription with a rotating menu each week).
- Click Edit beside Fallback contents.
- Click + Create fallback contents to open the selection for the specific variant.
- Click + Add products and add the quantities of the products to fall back to. Click Add Product to confirm the selection.
- Click Continue and save.
- Repeat for other variant(s) if necessary.
- Click Done.
Step 6 - Publish the bundle
Review your bundle’s settings and click Publish bundle when you’re ready to launch your bundle.
Didn’t find what you’re looking for?Contact us