The automatic reset feature allows merchants to offer bundles with rotating product selections. After each charge is processed, the customer selections are cleared and the customer must make new selections during a set customization window. If the customer does not make selections during the customization window, fallback contents are added to the bundle order when the next charge processes.
A common use case for automatic reset bundles is a meal box subscription with a rotating menu. With this type of subscription box, menu selections are regularly updated and customers can choose their meal selections. For example, a merchant may decide to publish a new menu for their meal box subscription every Wednesday and allow customers to select their meals no later than Saturday, with the box delivery scheduled for Monday. This selection period is called a customization window. For more details on customization windows, see our Customization window FAQ.
This guide provides details on configuring an automatic reset bundle.
- Recharge Checkout on Shopify
- Shopify Checkout Integration
Before you start
- Bundles are only available on the Recharge Pro plan.
- Automatic reset is only compatible with customizable bundles.
- After each renewal, automatic reset removes the customer's selections. If new selections are not made during the customization window, fallback contents are added to the order.
- In an automatic reset bundle, orders are tagged with
Preset-Bundleto identify present orders for visibility.
- Prepaid subscriptions are not compatible with automatic reset.
Step 1 - Create your bundle in Recharge
Create the parent bundle product in Recharge. Alternatively, you can select a pre-configured parent bundle product to import from Shopify. We recommend creating the parent bundle product directly in Recharge.
The following instructions take you through setting up and configuring an automatic reset bundle in Recharge:
- In the merchant portal, click Products and select Bundles.
- Click Create a new bundle.
- Name the bundle and select Customizable as your bundle type.
- If you are importing a pre-configured parent bundle product from Shopify, click Already have a product you want to use? Select it here. If you use this method, you cannot change or update the bundle price in Recharge. You must edit the product price directly in Shopify.
- Select Save and continue.
- Select the collection(s) to include in your bundle and click Save and continue.
- Optional - Check the box for Customers can choose between different bundle size or options if you would like to offer different versions of the bundle.
- Add the Option Name and Option Value to create different options for a bundle product. For example, you may to assign size as the option name and four meals and eight meals as the option values. This configuration would create a bundle with four and eight-meal options.
- For each option, input the number of products in the How many products can be added to this bundle? field.
- Set the total bundle price in the How much should this bundle cost? field.
- Optional - Drag and drop the collection options to adjust the order of the collections, add additional collections for more product selections, or set limits on how many products can be added from each collection.
- Ensure the Visibility toggle is on and select Done.
- Repeat steps 7-10 for each bundle option and click Save and continue once finished.
Step 2 - Set your subscription type
You must set a subscription type for your bundle. The available subscription types are one-time purchase only, one-time and subscription, subscription only, or prepaid subscription only. Refer to the following instructions to set your subscription type:
- Use the radio button to select a subscription type for your bundle. If you are configuring a prepaid bundle, see Prepaid bundles.
- Configure the subscription settings based on the subscription type you choose. For more information on subscription settings, see Creating subscription rules.
- Click Save and continue.
If you are configuring a prepaid bundle, note the following:
- Prepaid bundle parent products cannot have product variants.
- You cannot configure prepaid bundle product options to expire after a number of charges.
- Prepaid bundles are not compatible with automatic reset. Automatic reset bundles trigger by recurring charge processing. Prepaid subscriptions process charges only when the prepaid cycle renews. Therefore, prepaid shipment orders cannot reset contents.
Step 3 - Configure customer selections
Customer selections are used to reset the bundle contents, set a customization window, and set fallback contents. Fallback contents ensure customers receive products even if they do not make a selection during the customization window. If the customer does not make selections during the customization window, the fallback contents are added to the bundle after the next charge processes.
- On Customer selections, click Edit and select No, reset bundle selections.
- Optional - Select Within a specific number of days before their next order to create a customization window. Customization windows limit the time period in which customers can make changes to their bundle contents. For more information, see our Customization window FAQ.
- Click + Add fallback contents to configure fallback contents for each bundle option.
Warning: If fallback contents are not added and a customer does not make selections, the box will not contain any products. For more information, see our Fallback contents FAQ.
- Click + Add products and add the quantities of the fallback products.
- Click Add Product to confirm the selection.
- Click Save and continue.
- Repeat steps 3-7 for other bundle options and click Done when finished.
Step 4 - Publish the bundle
After configuring the bundle, click Publish bundle. Once the bundle is published, customers can purchase the bundle from your storefront.
You can preview the bundle product details page by clicking Preview your bundle on the bundle's settings page.
Note the following when publishing a bundle:
- Bundle content products must be active on the Online Store sales channel in Shopify.
- We recommend using a test product when testing bundling functionality. Publishing a bundle product that is active on Shopify will fully enable the bundle for customers on the storefront and customer portal.
- Recharge only adds bundle contents to Shopify orders if the bundle is published. If you unpublish a bundle and the bundle content products are still active in Shopify, Recharge will not add the bundle contents to Shopify orders. Customers can still purchase the products separately.
- To update product images or make adjustments to product settings (inventory, taxes, etc.), make updates directly in Shopify.
- To update the Shopify product (price, variants, etc.) after the initial bundle configuration, update the product directly in Shopify.
Didn’t find what you’re looking for?Contact us