If you are new to Bundles, this guide answers common questions about its use and how to get started.
- How do I change the available products in a bundle?
- Is there a shopping window where the user can modify the bundle before the next one goes out for delivery?
- What happens when the customer does not choose the items for the next shipment?
- Do Bundles support multiple delivery and renewal/charge days for the same bundle?
- Do Bundles affect inventory?
- Can I use discounts with Bundles?
- The products in my bundle have significantly different prices. How do I set the bundle’s price?
- Can I set limits to determine how many products a customer must choose from a collection?
- Is there a cost to use Bundles?
- What is the difference between the one-page and the multi-step layouts?
- Are Bundles compatible with Theme Engine?
- Why can't my customers customize their bundle in the customer portal?
- How do I setup shipping rates for my bundles?
- If a product is removed from a bundle, will current subscribers who are signed up for that bundle renew with the new contents?
- How do I change the bundle contents for my customer?
- Can my products have multiple variants?
- Can I preview my bundle without publishing it?
- Do Bundles work with workflows?
- Can I limit how many of each option customers can add to the bundle?
- Do Bundles work with RechargeSMS?
- Can I configure customizable Bundles to pre-select contents for customers?
- Can I create custom templates for each bundle product?
- How do I know if my bundle is using the bundles widget?
- Can I edit the HTML layout of the bundles widget?
- Why is the bundle widget not appearing on my preset bundle product page?
- Can the same bundle contain both one-time and subscription products?
- Can customers add Bundles to their orders outside of the product page, ie. using Quickview or another sales channel?
- How do I update the price of my Bundles?
- What are fallback contents?
- Are Bundles compatible with Order-Management Systems (OMS) or Third-Party Logistics (TPL)?
- Recharge Checkout on Shopify
- Shopify Checkout Integration
How do I change the available products in a bundle?
Products included in a bundle are managed by collection. To adjust the products offered in the bundle update the collection on Shopify.
Is there a shopping window where the user can modify the bundle before the next one goes out for delivery?
Yes, however, this feature is only available with automatic reset bundles. By default, customers can update their bundle selections at any time before the order processes.
The customization window feature provides a specific window where customers can update their bundle before renewal.
What happens when the customer does not choose the items for the next shipment?
If the product offering is updated regularly (ex. meal subscriptions with a rotating menu) use the automatic reset option and create fallback contents for your bundle.
After each renewal, automatic reset removes the customer selections. If new selections are not made before the next cycle the fallback contents are applied. Orders are tagged to identify present orders for visibility.
If the bundle is not configured with automatic reset the customer receives the same selection as the previous billing cycle.
Review troubleshooting bundles for more information to resolve orders without selections.
Do Bundles support multiple delivery and renewal/charge days for the same bundle?
No, multiple windows cannot be configured. Bundles follow the same configuration as subscription rules:
- If set to a weekly renewal, a specific charge day of the week can be selected.
- If set to a monthly renewal, a specific charge day of the month can be selected.
Do Bundles affect inventory?
All Bundles-related orders contain the individual products as line items and will affect inventory accordingly. The order will show both the bundle product with the full price and the individual items at $0.00, so they do not count towards the total.
You can export your bundle contents to assist with inventory planning.
Can I use discounts with Bundles?
Yes. You can offer a discount to subscribers and use discount codes with Bundles.
Offer a discount to subscribers
When you are setting up and configuring your bundle’s subscription settings, you have the option to offer a discount to subscribers.
The products in my bundle have significantly different prices. How do I set the bundle’s price?
Bundles must have a fixed number of products and the price must be set up front. However, if you have different types of products or significant price differences, you can divide your products into different collections, and set a rule/limit to ensure customers choose specific amounts within each collection.
Can I set limits to determine how many products a customer must choose from a collection?
Yes, Bundles allows you to set specific rules and limits. These include:
- The exact number of products that customers must add from a collection.
- A minimum and maximum number of products that customers must add from a collection.
For example, let’s say you run a food company that offers a weekly meal plan. The plan includes one meal per week, and you want customers to choose one main dish, a side dish, and a dessert. You can create three different collections (one for mains, one for sides, and one for desserts), and include the individual items that customers will be able to choose within each collection.
- When creating your bundle, click Limit how many products can be added from this collection.
- Select the limit rule to be configured, either Exact number of products from this collection, or Minimum and maximum products from this collection.
- Set the limit and click Save limits.
Is there a cost to use Bundles?
What is the difference between the one-page and the multi-step layouts?
- The one-page layout minimizes clicks and maximizes conversions. This layout is normally used for simple bundles with only a few options. Customers set up their bundles on a single page.
- The multi-step layout maximizes average order value and is ideal for more complicated bundles. Customers are taken through a few different steps to create and review their bundle.
- Review Bundles layout for more information.
Are Bundles compatible with Theme Engine?
Yes, however using custom templates must be created to integrate with Bundle. Review the customer portal troubleshooting guide for further information to create the templates required
Why can't my customers customize their bundle in the customer portal?
Bundles are compatible with the embedded in storefront version of the portal. If you are using hosted by Recharge switch to embedded.
Merchants using theme engine should reference the customer portal troubleshooting guide for further information.
How do I setup shipping rates for my bundles?
Shipping is based on the parent product, not the individual items selected. It is recommended to create a specific rate for the product that covers the cost of shipping regardless of the contents included.
Review Setting up shipping for the Shopify Checkout Integration or Setting up shipping for Recharge Checkout on Shopify for more information on how to configure the rates.
If a product is removed from a bundle, will current subscribers who are signed up for that bundle renew with the new contents?
For existing subscribers, contents will stay the same. Customers who already have the product selected in their box will still receive that product. However, if the customer logs into their customer portal they will be prompted to adjust the contents to remove that item and select a replacement.
How do I change the bundle contents for my customer?
Bundle contents can only be reviewed and changed using the customer-facing portal. To update the contents access the customer’s customer portal link. Once in the customer portal, select Edit for the bundle product and review the contents selected. To update click Update contents.
Can my products have multiple variants?
Yes. However, note that only a single variant of each product can be selected for each bundle. For example, if a product in the bundle has five flavor variants, the customer will only be able to select one flavor for the bundle.
The product can only be added once to each bundle, but the customer can select multiple quantities of the same variant.
If a subscriber cancels their order and re-activates the subscription are they prompted to re-select new products? Or are the items selected at the time of cancellation be used?
If the bundle is configured with automatic reset, the customer's selection will be reset and they will need to re-select the contents of the bundle.
If automatic reset is not configured, the bundle contents are preserved and the contents that were previously selected remain.
Can I preview my bundle without publishing it?
Yes. If the bundle product is not yet published on Recharge it can be previewed on your site by adding
?view=recharge-bundle to the end of the product page URL. However, the product must be active on Shopify for the preview link to work as expected.
Can I hide my bundle product?
If your bundle is published and you want to hide the page from your customers, adjust the product availability on Shopify to Draft.
Do Bundles work with workflows?
Bundles are compatible with workflows, however, workflows will not impact the bundle contents. Workflows can swap to or update the main bundle product but content selections will still need to be made through the customer portal.
Can I update the Bundles language used in the customer portal or on the subscription widget?
Yes. Bundles translations are adjusted by clicking Storefront and selecting Translations in the merchant portal.
- Select the Bundles Widget tab on the Translations page to update the widget translations.
- Select the Customer Portal - Themes tab and expand the Bundle Management section to update the customer portal language.
Can I limit how many of each option customers can add to the bundle?
The single item limit setting allows you to configure how many of each option customers can add to the bundle.
For example, you would enter two in the Single item limit text field if you wanted customers to only be able to add a single product twice.
Do Bundles work with RechargeSMS?
Yes, customers can use RechargeSMS to update the main bundle product. However, customers must then update bundle contents through the customer portal. Review bundled subscriptions in the RechargeSMS product guide for more information.
Can I configure customizable Bundles to pre-select contents for customers?
You cannot configure Bundles to have a mix of preset and customizable content.
Can I create custom templates for each bundle product?
How do I know if my bundle is using the bundles widget?
In the merchant portal, a warning will appear on the edit bundle page if the product is using a different template.
Alternatively, you can confirm by checking if the theme template on the Shopify admin product page is set to recharge-bundle.
Can I edit the HTML layout of the bundles widget?
No, the HTML structure of the bundles widget cannot be changed.
Refer to Customizing the bundle widget for available customizations using CSS.
Why is the bundle widget not appearing on my preset bundle product page?
Preset bundles use the standard Shopify product page format rather than the bundles widget. The preset bundle contents will not automatically appear on this page.
- You can add a description of what is included in the preset bundle directly in the Shopify product descriptions.
- Create a custom product template in the Shopify theme editor.
Can the same bundle contain both one-time and subscription products?
No, the bundle contents cannot contain both one-time and subscription products. The contents must match the Bundles' subscription settings.
One-off extras are used to add one-time products to Bundles.
Can customers add Bundles to their orders outside of the product page, ie. using Quickview or another sales channel?
Customizable Bundles must be added through the Bundles widget. customers must use the product page to make their selections and add the bundle to their cart. If a customizable bundle is added through another page, you must redirect the customer to the product page to make their selections.
Preset Bundles do not require a selection, so Bundles of this type can be added from other pages.
How do I update the price of my Bundles?
What are fallback contents?
Fallback contents are recommended for all customizable bundles. Customers who add the bundle through the customer portal or by swapping to the bundle must select their contents to receive their custom bundle, however, if they do not make that selection fallback contents ensure that they receive products. This also ensures that if the customers with automatic reset bundles do not log in to make their selection before their order processes still receive bundle contents.
Are Bundles compatible with Order-Management Systems (OMS) or Third-Party Logistics (TPL)?
Yes, however, Bundles orders are edited after they are placed using Shopify APIs. The OMS/3PL must be able to listen to order edits and also hold the fulfillment process a few minutes (while the order gets edited). If you use either of these systems for fulfillment it is recommended to place a test order to ensure your OMS/3PL system is compatible.