Single payment methods indicate that there is only one payment type attached to each customer. Customers can edit that payment or shipping address but cannot have multiple payment methods.
This guide provides an overview of single payment methods, confirming the payment method type, and other tips to ensure you are referencing the most accurate information while using the Recharge Help Center.
- Recharge Checkout on Shopify
- Recharge Checkout on BigCommerce
Before you start
- Single payment methods are not applicable to Shopify Checkout Integration stores. Only some Recharge Checkout on Shopify and Recharge Checkout on BigCommerce stores have single payment methods enabled. See Identifying your store’s Recharge checkout platform and confirm the payment method type for your store to determine if this guide is applicable to you.
- Your store’s payment state depends on the Recharge platform you use. Review Identifying your store's Recharge checkout platform to confirm which checkout platform your store uses.
- Multiple payment methods allow your customers to maintain multiple payment types in their customer profile, and if needed, use a unique payment method per shipping address. Contact Recharge Support to begin the complimentary upgrade process and a member of our team will reach out with assistance. For more information, please review Understanding multiple payment methods
Confirm the payment method type for your store
Click Manage payment methods in the Customer overview to review the customer’s payment methods. A banner is displayed for stores using single payment methods.
Updating and adding shipping addresses in bulk
Customers can easily add, edit, and change their shipping address for one or all of their subscriptions. When a customer adds or updates a shipping address for one of their subscriptions, they can select if the address is updated for just that subscription or all subscriptions associated with the old address.
Customers with multiple shipping addresses can also select a different address to move the subscription to. Customers are notified that they are updating the shipping address for every subscription using the old address. If a customer chooses to only update the address for one subscription, the customer will see a warning that there may be additional shipping charges.
Editing or changing the payment method for your customers
With single payment methods the customer can edit or change their payment method by going to the payment methods tab in the customer portal. Click on Change payment method and enter the new card details. This replaces the existing card information.
Can a customer edit their shipping address?
Yes, customers can edit their shipping addresses from within their customer portal if your customer portal settings allow customers to edit their shipping address.
Can a customer add a shipping address?
Yes, a customer can add a new shipping address. After a customer adds a new address they are given an option to update the address for just that subscription or for all other subscriptions using the old address.
Can a customer remove their payment method?
Yes. If there are no addresses attached to the payment method, customers can remove it completely.
Can customers still edit their credit card and billing address or just make updates?
Customers can edit their billing address independent of their card details. Changing the card details replaces the existing card details. The Payment Methods tab allows customers to edit their billing information for an existing payment method, or enter a new payment method with corresponding billing information.