Preset bundles allow customers to purchase a pre-configured bundle of products at a set price. Present bundles can be offered as a one-time purchase or as a subscription product.
This guide provides an overview of accessing and configuring a preset bundle.
- Recharge Checkout on Shopify
- Shopify Checkout Integration
Before you start
- Bundles are only available on the Recharge Pro plan.
- The Bundles customer portal widget is only compatible with customer portals that are embedded in the storefront. See Understanding the customer portal for more information.
How Bundles work
In Recharge, a bundle consists of a parent bundle product/SKU, as well as separate products/SKUs for each item that can be added to a bundle. Bundles are fixed-price, so the price of the parent product represents the total bundle price regardless of the contents chosen.
When purchased, only the bundle product will appear in the cart. The selections in the bundle are not shown at the cart level as individual products.
Once the order is processed, Recharge edits the Shopify order and adds each selected bundle item at a 100% discount. The inventory of each individual product is decremented and the discounted price of each additional bundle item is $0.
Note: The bundle item prices and discounts impact Shopify reports. Because the bundle items are added at full price and discounted 100%, they will impact Shopify reports including gross sales and discounts. These reports may need to be reconciled if you rely on them for accounting purposes.
There are a few limitations when using Bundles:
Shipping - The shipping rate is based on the parent product, not the individual items selected. It is recommended to create a specific rate for the product that covers the cost of shipping regardless of the contents included.
Fulfillment - Bundles orders are edited after they are placed using Shopify official APIs which are not compatible with some Order Management Systems and fulfillment processes.
- Multi-currency - Bundles is not compatible with multi-currency orders because Shopify does not allow order editing for orders placed in a non-local currency.
- Local delivery/pickup - Bundles is not compatible with local delivery/pickup orders because Shopify does not allow order editing for local delivery/pickup orders.
- Customer portal location: Hosted by Recharge - The Bundles customer portal widget is only compatible with customer portals that are embedded in the storefront. See Understanding the customer portal for more information.
- Draft orders - Draft orders and any other orders placed outside of Shopify's Online Store sales channel are not supported.
- Third-party applications - Most third-party applications are compatible with Bundles if the app doesn’t modify the add-to-cart behavior or impact fulfillment. We recommend running a test bundle order to ensure the third-party app is compatible.
Product details page
Preset bundles use the standard product template and the product details page looks similar to your existing product pages. Because preset bundles use the standard product template, they can be purchased using quick-add methods but must still flow through Shopify's Online store sales channel.
With present bundles, customers do not make bundle selections because all customers receive the same set of bundle contents. We recommend either building a custom product page for preset bundles or adding additional content to the product description so customers know what products are included in the bundle. It is important to highlight present bundle contents because once the bundle is added to the cart, the items included in the preset bundle are not displayed on the cart or checkout page.
When viewing a preset bundle in the customer portal, customers can see all of the products included in the bundle, but can not update the contents.
To learn about the bundle product structure and see an overview of how bundles look in Shopify, see Bundles.
Creating a preset bundle
Step 1 - Create your bundle in Recharge
Note: We recommend using a test product when testing bundling functionality. Publishing a bundle product that is active on Shopify will fully enable the bundle for customers on the storefront and customer portal.
Create the parent bundle product in Recharge. Alternatively, you can select a pre-configured parent bundle product to import from Shopify. We recommend creating the parent bundle product directly in Recharge.
The following instructions take you through setting up and configuring a bundle in Recharge:
- In the merchant portal, click Products and select Bundles.
- Click Create a new bundle.
- Name the bundle and select Preset as your bundle type.
- If you are importing a pre-configured parent bundle product from Shopify, click Already have a product you want to use? Select it here. If you use this method, you cannot change or update the bundle price in Recharge. You must edit the product price directly in Shopify.
- Select Save and continue.
- Optional - Check the box for Customers can choose between different bundle size or options if you would like to offer different versions of the bundle.
- Add the Option Name and Option Value to create different options for a bundle product. For example, you may to assign size as the option name and four meals and eight meals as the option values. This configuration would create a bundle with four and eight-meal options.
- For each option, input the number of products in the How many products can be added to this bundle? field.
- Set the total bundle price in the How much should this bundle cost? field.
- Click Add contents and select products to include in the preset bundle. Note the following about bundle contents:
- The individual prices of the bundle contents are ignored and the parent bundle price is used.
- You can sell bundle contents separately as a subscription in Recharge, but the product cannot be a subscription-only product due to a Shopify limitation.
- Ensure the Visibility toggle is on and select Done.
- Repeat steps 7-10 for each bundle option and click Save and continue once finished.
Step 2 - Set your subscription type
You must set a subscription type for your bundle. The available subscription types are one-time purchase only, one-time and subscription, subscription only, or prepaid subscription only. Refer to the following instructions to set your subscription type:
- Use the radio button to select a subscription type for your bundle. If you are configuring a prepaid bundle, see Prepaid bundles.
- Configure the subscription settings based on the subscription type you choose. For more information on subscription settings, see Creating subscription rules.
- Click Save and continue.
If you are configuring a prepaid bundle, note the following:
- Prepaid bundle parent products cannot have product variants.
- You cannot configure prepaid bundle product options to expire after a number of charges.
Step 3 - OPTIONAL - Update Shopify product details
Present bundles use the standard Shopify product template. The product template can be customized using the Shopify theme editor. Preset bundles do not have a bundle widget and the bundle is added to a customer's cart using the standard checkout flow. To increase conversion, we recommend either building a custom product page for preset bundles or adding additional content to the product description so customers know what products are included in the bundle. It is important to highlight present bundle contents because once the bundle is added to the cart, the items included in the preset bundle are not displayed on the cart or checkout page.
Step 4 - Publish the bundle
After configuring the bundle, click Publish bundle. Once the bundle is published, customers can purchase the bundle from your storefront.
You can preview the bundle product details page by clicking Preview your bundle on the bundle's settings page.
Note the following when publishing a bundle:
- Bundle content products must be active on the Online Store sales channel in Shopify.
- We recommend using a test product when testing bundling functionality. Publishing a bundle product that is active on Shopify will fully enable the bundle for customers on the storefront and customer portal.
- Recharge only adds bundle contents to Shopify orders if the bundle is published. If you unpublish a bundle and the bundle content products are still active in Shopify, Recharge will not add the bundle contents to Shopify orders. Customers can still purchase the products separately.
- To update product images or make adjustments to product settings (inventory, taxes, etc.), make updates directly in Shopify.
- To update the Shopify product (price, variants, etc.) after the initial bundle configuration, update the product directly in Shopify.
Didn’t find what you’re looking for?Contact us