Customers want as much information as possible, and providing them with details about your subscription offering on your home page empowers them to make informed purchasing decisions.
This guide explains how to use a storefront banner and a call-to-action button to highlight your subscription offering to customers directly on your storefront.
- Recharge Checkout on Shopify
- Shopify Checkout Integration
Before you start
- You should create a duplicate version of your theme before making any theme changes to avoid any unexpected issues on your live store.
- See Optimizing your website for subscriptions for additional suggestions on improving the user experience for your customers.
How it works
Announce your subscription offerings to potential customers as soon as they visit your website. With a storefront banner and a call-to-action button, customers can easily see what discounts are available when they subscribe and quickly navigate to available subscription products.
Hubble, for example, uses illustrations on their storefront to explain their subscription offering and highlights a $1 box using the call-to-action button:
Using both a storefront banner and a call-to-action button advertises the value of your subscription offering, and promotes subscription-friendly language, encouraging customers to subscribe.
Improve customer experience
- Highlight your subscription offering and key perks
- Make it easy for customers to navigate your site and find the products they want
- Increase organic search scores
- Decrease the amount you spend on ads
Update your storefront
Update your storefront home page to include a site banner and a subscription call-to-action button.
Step 1: Configure your Shopify store
You must set up your products in Shopify before highlighting your subscription offering on your storefront. Create a new Shopify collection containing all available subscription products.
Step 2: Add a site banner
A storefront banner communicates essential information to your customers as soon as they access your site.
Refer to Shopify’s guide Add an announcement bar to add a storefront banner:
- Customize the announcement banner text to mention your subscription offering, ie. “Subscribe today and save 15% on all orders”.
- Use the Link field to enter the URL of the subscription collection you created in Step 1.
Save your changes.
- The site banner is a great way to notify your customers about your subscription offering, and direct them to a specific subscription-only collections page.
The site banner is a great way to notify your customers about your subscription offering, and direct them to a specific subscription-only collections page.
Step 3: Create a subscription call-to-action button
Add a call-to-action button on your homepage to promote your subscription offering to customers as soon as they visit your site.
Navigate to your Shopify theme editor to make changes to your theme:
- Add an “Image with Text” section, or something similar, to your home page.
- Most themes have a specific section that allows you to add text and images along with a button to link to a collection page. Refer to your theme’s documentation to confirm available sections.
- Add a relevant image and content that describes your subscription offering.
- Use subscription-friendly language such as “Subscribe today!” as the button label.
- Set the button link to the URL of the subscription collection you created in Step 1.
- Save your changes.
Make sure to test the call-to-action button on your storefront before publishing the changes.
Optional: Update your subscription widget
Adjust your widget settings so that the subscription option is selected by default if you offer both one-time and subscription options for a product.