Whether you’re managing remaining inventory, ordering stock, or redirecting people to your available products, Recharge has options on handling out of stock products at different stages of the customer lifecycle. Learn how to hide out of stock items, host a presale, and what to do when you have sold out products.
This guide focuses on how to manage out of stock products and methods on hiding products for timely releases or discontinued product management. Check handling product inventory for more information on inventory settings.
Out of stock orders
To view orders with inventory errors, click on the Orders page in the merchant portal, and view the Charge errors tab. Depending on the original charge date for the order, you may want to manually retry the charge or move the next charge date for the failed order.
Note: Making changes to an out of stock order will not automatically retry the order. Recharge can automatically retry the order based on your store settings during the next six-day interval, however, you can also manually retry the order.
Manually retry a charge
In the Charge errors tab, click the three dots next to the Error column and select Retry charge to manually retry the charge once the item is back in stock.
Click the Recharge Charge ID number in the Charge errors tab to review charge details. From the charge details page, you have the option to manually retry the charge or reschedule it by clicking the Retry button.
Move the next charge date
Move the next charge date to a later date, scheduling to when the product will be back in stock. If the date for the product to restock is undetermined, move the charge date to your best estimate for the future date. You can move the charge date to align with the early date for orders to be processed if the product is back in stock earlier than anticipated.
Out of stock notifications
You can set up automated email alerts to notify customers when their order is out of stock.
- In your merchant portal, click Settings and select Notifications.
- Click the Out of stock email under Customer notifications.
- Under Status, click the toggle to enable the notification.
See Notifications for more information on setting up notifications.
Communication with your customers
There are situations that require manually emailing your customers to notify them about out-of-stock products, such as if the out of stock product has been removed, or to notify them about changes made to their subscriptions. For customized uses outside of Recharge’s Notifications base settings, you could consider utilizing an app or integration that specializes in customer notifications, including Klaviyo V2 with Recharge Quick Actions for example.
Another option when an item is out of stock is to swap your products. Instead of removing or canceling the out of stock product and adding a new one, you can use the swap option to switch to a different subscription product in the meantime. When the original product is back in stock, swap the product back. Learn more on adding and swapping products or variants.
How to swap a product
- Click Customers in your merchant portal.
- Search and select the customer.
- Locate the product you wish to replace and click the Actions dropdown and select Swap.
- Search and select the new product.
- Enter the product details and click Swap product.
Allow customers to swap products
Update your Customer portal controls to allow customers to Swap products in their subscription. You can also allow customers to choose the date of the next charge for the swapped products by enabling the Edit frequency option under Shipment frequency.
Bulk update a product swap
Recharge can help facilitate a bulk product swap if you need to update the subscription product for more than 50 customers.
Hiding out of stock items
Use Recharge Collections to hide products in the customer portal
In your merchant portal, follow the steps to create a collection and designate a collection for your in stock products. Add the items that you want visible for your customers in the collection. You can add the same product to multiple collections. The maximum number of products that can be added to a collection is 10,000.
Set the collection to display in the customer portal:
- In your merchant portal, click Storefront and select Customer Portal.
- Within the Customer portal controls section, locate Products available for purchase.
- Select Recharge collection from the dropdown.
- From Select a Recharge collection and click the collection you want to use for the customer portal.
- Click Save.
Hiding storefront products with Shopify’s collections
Shopify's Collections can show certain products while excluding others based on keywords. The product needs to be active in Shopify and added in Recharge for the subscription widget to properly preview.
Step 1 - Create a collection in Shopify
- In your Shopify admin, click Products.
- Select Collections.
- Click the Create collection button.
- If you use Shopify’s Automated Collections, use the Conditions settings to enter in product-specific keywords.
- Select the specific products if you are using Shopify’s Manual Collections. Make sure to leave out the products you want to keep hidden.
Step 2 - Setup visibility for your storefront navigation
- From your Shopify admin under Sales channels, click Online Store.
- Select Navigation.
- In the Menu section, click Main menu or your renamed title for the relevant page.
- Locate the relevant Menu item and click Edit.
- In the Link field, change the “All products” option by selecting “Collections” or typing in the newly created collection.
- Click the Apply changes button.
- Click on Save menu.
Host a presale using Recharge Collections
Use Recharge Collections when you need to unveil items with sensitive launch dates, or secret products. Prepare for your sales, promotions, or new product release by creating multiple collections. For the customer portal, exclude the products you need hidden from the actively displayed collection. The benefits for your presale is in creating the collections ahead of time and then making it live on your customer portal when you are ready.
Discontinuing an out of stock item
If the out of stock product needs to be removed entirely from your storefront along with existing subscriptions, review how to discontinue subscription products.