Klaviyo V2 is a powerful third-party app that Recharge directly integrates with, allowing you to take your customer notifications to the next level. This guide goes through how to install Klaviyo V2, backfilling customer data, and migrating from Klaviyo V1 to V2.
- Recharge Checkout on BigCommerce
- Recharge Checkout on Shopify
- Shopify Checkout Integration
Before you start
- Klaviyo V2 is supported by Recharge for Shopify merchants. The app is considered in early adoption for BigCommerce and provided as-is.
- Backfilling data allows you to include existing customers in new flows and campaigns based on their previous orders.
- Klaviyo V2 is available for self-install through the merchant portal.
Install Klaviyo V2
Step 1 - Install Klaviyo on Recharge
To begin installing Klaviyo, locate your Public API Key from your Klaviyo account:
- Follow Klaviyo's instructions to locate your Public API Key.
- In the merchant portal, click Apps and select Marketplace from the drop-down.
- Find the Klaviyo card and select Get to begin the installation process.
- Add your Public API Key to Recharge.
- Select Connect to enable Klaviyo V2.
- Follow instructions to backfill any historical customer data if necessary.
Step 2 - Confirm that Recharge data is available in Klaviyo
Recharge custom properties should display for new checkout orders as soon as Klaviyo V2 is enabled. Custom properties are available on the Information tab for a specific customer in Klaviyo and are used to store specific Recharge customer and order data on Klaviyo at the customer level.
Confirm that the necessary Recharge data is visible in Klaviyo:
- Navigate to the customer portal for a customer in Klaviyo.
- Open the Profile Tab.
- Confirm that the new custom properties associated with Recharge are visible.
- Navigate to the Analytics tab. Confirm that the five metrics ending in on ReCharge are visible.
You can backfill Recharge custom property data directly in Klaviyo for existing customers if you were not previously using Recharge's Klaviyo V2 integration with Klaviyo.
This process ensures that all Recharge customer data collected prior to installing Klaviyo V2 is passed to Klaviyo from Recharge.Backfilling data does not trigger Recharge metrics that occurred before gaining access to Klaviyo V2.
To backfill your historical data:
- Select Backfill historical data from the Klaviyo integration page in Recharge.
- A command box will appear explaining the Backfill process. Select Proceed to backfill your historical data.
- Monitor the Backfill status listed under the Backfill historical data section of the Klaviyo integration in your Recharge admin. Use the Refresh status option to get an updated status of the backfill.
- The Backfill status will display as completed once the backfill has finished. You will then be able to see customer properties listed for existing customers.
Migrate from Klaviyo V1 to V2
Recharge created Klaviyo V2 to unlock additional metrics and customer data in Klaviyo, allowing you to send personalized notifications to your customers based on their subscription data.
It is recommended that you migrate to Klaviyo V2 to access all the benefits Klaviyo has to offer. Klaviyo V2 is the official app supported by Recharge. Unlike Klaviyo V1, Klaviyo V2 is available through the Apps Marketplace in your Recharge merchant portal.
Step 1 - Access Klaviyo V2 in Recharge
You may have already installed Klaviyo V2 from a prompt in your Klaviyo dashboard.
Review the Installed apps in your Recharge merchant portal to confirm if you have already installed Klaviyo V2.
If Klaviyo V2 is installed
- Confirm that you have saved your 6-character Klaviyo API Key in Recharge.
- Confirm that the Connected status option is visible.
If Klaviyo V2 is not installed
- Follow steps to enable Klaviyo V2 in Recharge.
- After installing Klaviyo V2, you may want to backfill your customer data into Klaviyo.
Step 2 - Recreate any existing flows in Klaviyo
Rebuild existing flows by replacing the V1 metric with the corresponding V2 metric:
- Create new flows in Klaviyo using the new V2 metrics.
Recharge metric on Klaviyo V1
Recharge metric on Klaviyo V2
Subscription started on ReCharge
Subscription cancelled on ReCharge
Subscription expired on ReCharge
Remains the same for Recharge Checkout on BigCommerce or Recharge Checkout on Shopify merchants.
Shopify Checkout Integration merchants can use Shopify’s metric instead.
- Set any old flows using the V1 metrics to a Draft status.
- Test your flow. Make sure that you are not receiving two emails for one event.
- If you receive duplicate emails, confirm that your V1 flow is set to Draft.
- If you do not receive any emails, troubleshoot your new flow.
Step 3 - Remove Klaviyo V1
Remove Klaviyo V1 once you’ve finished migrating to V2:
- Login to your Klaviyo admin.
- Select Integrations.
- Locate Recharge from the Enabled Integrations tab and select View Settings.
- Select Disable - Remove.
The migration is complete once you’ve enabled Klaviyo V2 in Recharge, rebuilt your flows in Klaviyo, and removed Klaviyo V1 from your enabled integrations.
Didn’t find what you’re looking for?Contact us